Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cool Runnings

At work the other day, I was waiting for the elevator with some of the professors from my department. They were discussing a running program that they were on. One of them said that she was just starting stage 3 of the program.
My curiosity was piqued, so I asked them what they were talking about.
They told me about a program called "Couch to 5k". It is designed to get people off the couch and out running. It starts you at a moderately slow pace where you warm up with five minutes of walking...and then jog at your own pace for one minute, then walk for 90 seconds. Then, jog for a minute and walk for 90 seconds. You do this for 20-30 minutes every other day for the first week...after the first week, it ramps it up to the next step.
The concept is that in 3 months time, you should be able to run a 5k marathon.
So, last night, I went home, got on the treadmill and tried it out. To my surprise, it wasn't that bad! I didn't feel too tired afterward, and actually look forward to doing it again!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment